When you think of the Maldives you evoke visions of soft sand, warm sunshine and idyllic blue lagoons.
The picture-perfect islands lie south west of India and are famous for their many island resorts and honeymooner appeal. It is very likely you have heard of the destination as it has a propensity for being at the top of most luxury vacationer’s lists as one of the most classic island getaways.
However there are 5 surprising facts about the Maldives that you probably did not know….
1. The Maldives Are A Muslim Nation
2. It is one of the few places you can experience bioluminescence
3. The Maldives are some of the lowest lying islands in the world
4. The Maldives have a literacy rate of 98%
5. There are over 1100 islands that make up the Maldives