You can’t quite explain why, but something doesn’t feel right… and it’s possible you’ve felt that way for some time now.
Perhaps you’re feeling lost? Your life seems to be lacking direction and you’re unable to see the best way through this confusing time?
Or maybe you’re feeling overwhelmed with anxiety about the future? You want to make the very most of this one and precious life, but are held back by niggling fears of ‘what if I fail?’ or ‘am I good enough?’?
It’s natural and in-fact – healthy even – to occasionally experience bouts of questioning and dissatisfaction in your life. However, that isn’t to say that when this happens it isn’t tough.
So what can you do when things are looking dismal and you can’t help but feel dissatisfied with certain areas of your life?
Here’s a simple and effective solution: rather than focus on what might be going wrong in your life, why not focus on the things that are going right?
This doesn’t have to just be about the big or even material things. Just by paying attention to the small, everyday blessings you might take for granted, you’ll start to think less about what your life is lacking and more about the things you are already abundant in.
Struggling to get started? Here are some suggestions, to show you that perhaps, you aren’t doing so badly after all.
1. There is oxygen in your lungs.
– An obvious one, but surely something to smile about? After all, without a continuous and fresh supply of oxygen, where would you be? Breathing is something we all take for granted, until perhaps, we aren’t able to any more. So go on, celebrate this extraordinary gift that gets so little of our attention.
2. There is food in your stomach.
– The next time you eat something (which probably won’t be very far off), give thanks that every time you’re feeling hungry, you can eat at any time. There are many people around the world, for whom a full belly is a rarity. So remember to never take for granted the fact that for you, a hot dinner is never far away.
3. You have access to clean water.
– Again, a lot of us take for granted the fact that we have regular access to clean water – something that in many parts of the world isn’t available. So the next time you raise a glass of cool, clean drinking water to your lips, smile in appreciation for how fortunate you truly are.
4. A hot shower is pretty much a daily occurrence.
– Talking of water, what about the hot shower you get to take once, or even twice a day? When there are people in the world with not enough water to drink, having access to warm water in which you routinely bath is a generous blessing. So the next time you step into the shower, recognise how lucky you are.
5. You get to sleep every night in a warm and comfortable bed.
– Not everyone gets to come home from a long, exhausting day and then throw themselves down onto their comfy bed. Again, this is something so simple and (to us) mundane, but when you really think about it – what would it be like to not have a bed to sleep in every night? For many that is a very real reality. So as you lay, tucked up and comfy in your bed tonight – take note of how good it feels.
6. You have a roof over your head and security.
– When you think about it, the roof over your head at night keeping you dry and safe is definitely something to smile about. You are protected from the elements, safe to sleep soundly in the protection of four walls. What’s not to appreciate?
7. You are loved.
– At times you may try to convince yourself otherwise, but there’s no denying it – there are people who love you. Be it family, friends, a partner, your co-workers or neighbours…you are loved…and this is arguably the most significant blessing in your life. Love is the very essence of life – so make sure to never squander or take it for granted.
8. You have choices.
– Perhaps the biggest luxury we take for granted in our modern society, is our freedom of CHOICE. What you want to do for a career…which passions you pursue…who you choose to love…when you have children…which area you live in…your education…our lives are entirely filled with choices.
In the past and still in some parts of the world today, most choices are based on survival. However, for the majority of us living in this privileged modern age, we get to make choices based on what makes us happy. Now surely that is a thought worth cherishing?
When you consider the above, hopefully you’re beginning to see that life really isn’t so bad after all?
If you take a long, hard look at your life you’ll be surprised by just how many things are going right for you. So take a moment now and ask yourself – what else have I got to be thankful for?
There’s always a reason to celebrate life – so what are you waiting for?
Life is Good Right Now…Here are 8 Reasons Why.
BY KATHERINE HURST